I have made no secret of my big, giant FAIL at homework time. These are the 5 things that help me to get through the afternoon. Well, when I remember to do them all!
- Have a talk with the kids-about their day, what is coming up that evening, what they had for lunch, anything! to reconnect.
- Remember to send them to the potty!
- Snacks. Headless Boy#1's second grade teacher had a session called "Chew and Do" and it helps for them to be able to munch while they get to work. I keep goldfish crackers around for this.
- Quiet voices. (Stop laughing!) If you know anything about me or my household IRL you're sure to find this one funny. I am loud. My kids can be pretty loud. I have found that if I keep my voice-volume and tone-lower than normal that they respond to me more calmly.
- Let them choose the order of the papers that they do. The boys bring home a weeks' worth of homework at a time. HB#1 has to turn things in on certain days: I let him choose if he wants to do worksheet A first or read. HB#2 turns in the whole packet at once so I tell him that he has to do 2 (or 3, or 4) pages per day but he can choose any of the worksheets in the packet. If he does all of the math on the first day, great, but he still has to do the rest of the work at some point.
Don't forget to breathe!
Do you have any other tips? I'll gladly take suggestions!
Oh, and don't forget to go back to Shannon's place for more Works For Me Wednesday tips!