Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Salsa Chicken-It's What's for dinner!

Remember that little cookbook that I'm in? Yeah, over there in the sidebar?
<-----
I looooove it! My latest find is Stephanie's Salsa Chicken. Oh my. So awesome. And versatile!

Salsa Chicken

6-9 boneless, skinless chicken thighs. (or use breasts of equivalent weight)
1 can  black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup white corn, frozen
1 1/2 cups chunky salsa (use 2 cups if you use breasts or you want a more a liquidy sauce)(Yes, that's a very foodie term.)

Toss it in and go. Low 6-9 hours, or high 4-5. If your chicken is frozen you might want to make sure that your cook time is on the longer side. Use a fork to shred the chicken before you serve.

Notes:

  • you can serve this over rice or with tortillas
  • you can add sour cream (1 cup) or cream cheese (1/2 block) during the last 30-45 minutes of cooking.
  • Diced avocado was amazing on this as a garnish (HD and I each had a half of an avocado on our bowl of rice and Salsa Chicken.)
  • or try shredded cheese
  • or serve as a topping for tortilla chips
  • the leftovers were possibly even better than the original batch
  • I also think that if you want a little extra zing you could add a 4 oz can of green chiles.
Everyone in my family loved this. I have a feeling it will go into heavy rotation during baseball season.

Thanks, Steph!

Headless Mom

5 comments:

Mommy, I'm Home said...

That actually does look yummy and I'm not usually one to love my crockpot...

Just Breathe said...

Okay everyone, you must try this.
When Headless told me about it last week I made it. Made it again this week and had the leftovers as the filling for soft taco's last night. Yum!

Stephanie O'Dea said...

I just saw this! I'm so glad that you are enjoying the book and had a great dinner.

you are wonderful---
xoxo steph

Anna See said...

Been looking for crock pot ideas. Thanks!

Dory said...

This sounds MUY YUMMY! (Another very foodie phrase. NOT.)