In college I majored in English. Don’t hold it against me, really. I love reading, and loved literary commentary but I was never really good at it. Don’t get me started on grammar. Thank goodness blogging is a more personal style of writing because following all of the ‘rules’ is really hard for me.
Be that as it is, I am a stickler for spelling. When I was in Junior High we had the “No Excuse Spelling List” and once it was given to us we were responsible for every word on the list in every class, not just Language Arts. These were primarily homophones and other regularly used, and misused, words.
Now that I’ve been writing on the internet for almost 3 years now I see a few spelling mistakes quite often....and quite frankly, they drive me nuts.
- breath instead of breathe
- allot or alot instead of a lot (notice, there is a space there)
- improper use of your and you're
- improper use of to, too, and two
- sorted instead of sordid (major meaning difference!)
- quite instead of quiet