Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Easy Chicken Picatta

One goal accomplished: Meal plan for this week: done. I hit a home run with this recipe on Monday night. It is really easy, and start to finish I only spent about 40 minutes. (Granted I was rushing, but it still wouldn't have taken much longer.) I had forgotten how yummy and easy this is. Sidenote: when I was single I used to make it for my dates. Hooked 'em every time.)

Pound: 3 large chicken breasts until very thin. (or 4-6 small breasts. eyeball it.)(You can cut the chicken pieces if you need to to fit in your pan. I have a giant pan so I didn't.)
Dredge: in flour with salt and pepper, to taste.
Saute': in enough olive oil to cover the bottom of your pan. Cook until lightly brown on both sides. (It's easy to over cook these after they've been pounded.) Remove to serving dish.
Add to skillet: 1 small jar of capers, (including juice,) juice of 1 lemon (fresh is best,) 1 lemon thinly sliced, and 1/2 cup white wine. Cook until lemon slices are soft and mixture starts to bubble. *
Pour over chicken.

*This sauce doesn't make very much if you're serving it with pasta and want some for that also. I haven't tried to double it yet but I don't think you'd want to add 2 jars of capers unless you were doubling (or more) the amount of chicken. If you're only serving it with the chicken then you should be fine, just make sure to pour some on each piece of chicken. This fed the four of us with a little left over for me to have for lunch tomorrow!

I like to serve this with angel hair pasta. Start boiling your water at the beginning, though, or you'll have to wait to serve it all until your water boils. Not that I would know anything about that. Ahem.

I made these brussels sprouts to go with it and they were a perfect compliment. (Thanks Kristen for the recipe! She actually posted 2 others in that post that also look great. Can't wait to try them!)

Enjoy!
Headless Mom

4 comments:

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Yum! I'll pass this on to my husband!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds delicious and I think pasta is a great addition. The brussels sprouts sound awesome too!

Karen r said...

This is what we are having for dinner tomorrow night, I promised hubby homemade chicken noodle soup tonight because he under the weather, but can't wait until tomorrow!

Threeundertwo said...

Yum. I love chicken picatta. Thanks for the recipe!

There is a running joke about capers in our house. For some reason my son thinks they're hilarious. Whatever.