Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mexican Lasagne

Another favorite via my mom. This makes a TON- great for big families, get-togethers, or to have lots of leftovers.

Ingredients:
1lb. ground beef
1 can (16 oz.) refried beans
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cumin
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
12 uncooked lasagne noodles
2 1/2 cups salsa
2 1/2 cups water
2 cups sour cream
3/4 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup black olives, drained and sliced
1 cup grated cheese (monterey jack, pepper jack, cheddar, I usually mix what I have)

Combine beef (raw) with the beans, oregano, cumin, and garlic powder. Mix well. Place 4 uncooked noodles in your lasagne pan. Cover with half of the meat mixture. Top with 4 more noodles. Add remaining meat mixture and top with final 4 noodles. Combine salsa and water, pour over noodles/meat. Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours (or until noodles are tender). Combine sour cream, onions and olives. Spread over casserole; top with cheese. Return to oven, uncovered for another 5 minutes or so, until cheese is melted.

I wish I had a picture to show you, but this is one of my favorite dinners. Especially great if you have a late afternoon appointment-prepare it early and let it bake while you are gone. You can make it spicier if you choose a spicy/hot salsa, or add a little red pepper to the meat mixture if your family likes hot stuff.

Enjoy!

PS-If you want to find more of my recipes click on the link below titled "recipe trials"
PPS- There is still time to enter my DisneyLive giveaway over at IE Family.
PPPS- Don't forget to vote daily for our Love through Laundry project!
Headless Mom

3 comments:

Erica M said...

That looks really good. I will try it next week. JA will probably stick to mac n' cheese. He's one of those.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That sounds really good, I will definately have to try it.

kyooty said...

that sounds yummy. I think I have all of that here.