Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Body in Motion

No, this is not about exercise. Although it probably should be.

Recently, in a closed group on Facebook we were having a discussion about things we were trying to do differently this year, largely focusing on productivity.

A body in motion stays in motion.
 It's true. In science and in day to day life. And it proves itself over and over again.

Over break we were able to go to Colorado for Christmas. (It's the first time my boys have seen it snow, but that is a story for another day.) While there I helped my mom with lots of holiday prep, as you can imagine. I didn't have the option of sitting: things had to get done. This may seem like a "duh" statement to you, but it was somewhat of a revelation to me. 
When I got up, got dressed, ate, and started my day I got a lot of sh stuff done.
 There was even time to check Facebook, text with friends, take some pictures, and visit with family. Who knew?

Actually, I know this. Have known for years but knowing somehow doesn't make doing it on a consistent basis any easier.  I've always lived on the premise that "tomorrow is another day" and "If it didn't get done today, there's always tomorrow." Which is fine on the surface but it gives us permission to procrastinate. To watch that tv show or follow the breadcrumbs around the internet. Ahem.

My solution: Get up each day and start it like I always have: coffee and get the kids to school. (Change is hard y'all.) HOWEVER. Then, rather than grab the laptop and sink in, I am (trying to) get dressed, eat, and do SOMETHING. Start that load of laundry. Wipe down the bathrooms. Clean off my perpetually cluttered counter. Grocery shop. Something usually leads to something else and before I know it I've spent at least 50% of the time that the kids are out of the house getting something productive done.
A body in motion stays in motion.
It's easy and so hard at the same time, but it's working.

3 comments:

Shannon Entin said...

So absolutely true. I really need to do this more. Or every day.

kyooty said...

It's true yes it is!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That's a great plan!