Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Day to Day Living

When my boys were babies we used to live day to day. We had to have a schedule because of their older sister and dad having schedules outside the house but as far as the 3 of us went, it was pretty loose. Diaper blowout? No prob. We weren't going anywhere anyway. This also explains why there is still so many projects left undone in my house. Ahem.

Fast forward a few years to when the boys started school. Schedules changed with added activities so I was able to plan more. I love to plan. I love having a detailed calendar, knowing where everyone will be and when, and for how long. These were the days of extensive meal planning. I had to. Otherwise we wouldn't have eaten. I am happiest when I have a week or so of activities and meals planned, know where we're going on vacation in the summer by February, that kind of thing. Order is the name of my game.

Lately that orderly life that I love so much? Straight out the window. Homeschooling has upended my calendar and for the life of me I cannot set it upright. Meal plan? Yeah, right. My afternoons are so full that not only am I rarely home, I often can't even get to the store for basics until I hear "Mom, how can I have cereal if there is no milk?"

After a super-fun weekend in Vegas with Shannon and her family, I arrived home on Monday a little before lunch time. I thought I'd have a chance to catch up on things.

That sound? Was the universe doing the big "LOL".

Instead of a few hours catching up it was me, running around, putting out fire after fire. Then the same thing today. And so it will be tomorrow. Thursday, too. Friday morning should be ok but the afternoon and evening will be just as nuts. This week, as in the last 2 months or so, I will be dead by Saturday and get just enough done to b a r e l y keep my head above water for the next week. This is not even counting keeping up with all of the school work that has to be done.

I know that organization is key. I'm staying on top of the home school stuff, organizationally. The rest, however? Is totally hit-or-miss. The list of things that I need at Target is so long that I'll need a minimum of an hour and includes basics like soap and toothpaste. I haven't been to Costco in I don't know how long. Last week I was able to meal plan a little and it was such a big help. I need to get there--to that place of organization.

My mental health lies in the balance and depends on a little order around here. Anyone up for a Target run? That looks like my only socializing time in the foreseeable future.

4 comments:

As Cape Cod Turns said...

I'd go to Target with you if my closest Target wasn't an hour away and your Target wasn't a 5 hour plane ride from me :(
But I do get the need for organization, so here's hoping that some time in the next 5 years, you will be comfortably organized!

Ann Woodruff said...

I'm there....Target sounds like a perfectly wonderful place to meet up! I think this is normal...and hard....and each time I think I've got it conquered, someone else throws in some wrench....PLEASE let me know if there is anything I can do.....YOU are doing such an amazing job, but remember this is a HARD JOB and most days around here look a little woozy from the inside too.

kyooty said...

I'm so not organized. I should be but I am not. I want people to input their "stuff" in the house calendar but it's easier said than done. You rock if you have a vacation planned in February! :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Your now a teacher besides being a stay at home mom. Both jobs are full time jobs. I know it will all blend together at some point and you will feel on top of it. Don't be so hard on yourself right now.....(HUGS))