Friday, November 28, 2014

A Few of My Favorite Things

This time of year a bunch of people make up lists of things to buy for people. Here's a few of my favorite things, in no particular order, in random categories. They may or may not work as gifts but it makes a great blog post, right?

Kitchen:

  •  My apple pie recipe is actually Robin's. You can find it here.
  •  I adore my pie accessories: a serrated edge pie server and a crust keeper (the metal thing that you put over the crust for the first half of baking that keeps the crust from burning,) both by Pampered Chef. 
  •  I also love the Pampered Chef glass bowls with lids. They come in 2 or 3 sizes and, while not too expensive, they are worth every penny to get some of each size. Microwave, fridge, measuring marks, oven-safe, they do it all. 
  • I have no need of fancy cookware when I have Revere Ware copper bottom pans. Honestly, I've had them since I was maybe 23 and they never wear out. I got them at WalMart, I think.
Beauty: (Debatable, but we're going with it.)
  • Moisturizer: Cetaphil. I use the thick cream kind. I've always had dry skin, but now that I'm in my mid-forties I really need the thick stuff.
  • I swear by John Freida Frizz Ease for my thick curly hair. I use 1 squirt on my shoulder-length hair, rub through the length of hair, avoiding the roots. Brush/comb. I can then dry it straight or scrunch it to be curly. It comes out perfect either way. If I do it curly I also use Aveda's Liquid gel to define the curls.
  • My stylist might kill me for this but my hair color? I use Loreal Feria, usually color #61 (or #63 if I can't find the other.) I continue to get compliments on the color even when it's past time to do it. Somehow it even does subtle highlights. At less than $10/box it's more than worth it!
  • Garnier BB Cream- It's a moisturizer/foundation that I love. While I do like a little more coverage for nighttime, this is perfect for any daytime situation. It lets my freckles show through but evens out my skin tone.
  • Last but not least, I swear by Neutrogena Body Oil. I hadn't been able to find it for about 3 years and just ran across a huge bottle at Nordstrom Rack (Or was it Off 5th Ave.? Can't remember.) I'm so happy!
Clothing: (ok, a weird category but I never said it was all going to be perfect)
  • I love Hanes socks.
  • And Maidenform bras.
  • And swear by Jockey for Her underwear. (I do, really. I've been wearing the same style for about 30 years .)
  • I love my Lucky jeans. They are just about the only brand that I can find the right length!
Do you have anything to add to these categories? I've probably forgotten about a dozen things!

2 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

I'm with you on the hair color for sure, and now that I have to do it every three weeks (!!!!) there's no way I could afford the salon for that. I'll take my $7/box hair color any day! :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Just pinned that pie recipe! I have had my Revere Wear for over 40 years and still love it. I didn't even know you were doing your own hair color.....it looks wonderful! Love your list.