Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Gift Giving 101

Melissa from Rock and Drool wrote a great post of blog topics and I've been kicked into action. (Thanks Liz!) Check out the list, get over your blogstipation, and get writing, already! Yes, I know it's the holidays but there is more than one idea that will only take a few minutes to write and publish. Get moving! I'm using #96 but giving it my own twist!

*****

I've always prided myself on being a pretty good gift-giver. Yes, some people are super hard to buy for but that doesn't mean that you can't do a good job of finding something great to give them. Here is a list of ideas for great gifts and thoughts on how to find the perfect gift.

  • What is this person's hobby/passion? This is kind of a no brainer, but does your friend/family member love golf? Fishing? Knitting? Music? Sports? Wine?
  • The easy answer here is a gift card to a store that supports that hobby, and that is a great place to start but not the only place.
  • You could go for the experience... A round of golf at a local favorite course, or a 'dream course,' a boat rental for a day on the lake, a specialty class, tickets for a concert, tickets for a college or professional sport, a day of wine tasting. 
  • Go small: find little things that pertain to that person's passion: a bracelet, a book, a pen/pencil/pad with a logo on it, a coffee mug, key chain, license plate frame, tshirt, etc..
  • Do you have a shared history? Think 'Memory Gift.' There are dozens of things that you can get with pictures: mugs, iPad or Kindle covers, phone cases, Christmas ornaments, photo books, throw blankets, key chains, you get the idea. 
  • Get a journal and make the first entry a letter to that person about why they are so important to you.
  • A trip to the restaurant/museum/place that means the most to your shared memories. Bonus if you can do it together!
  • Many destinations now have online gift shops which make it easy to get something from that location--think Grand Canyon, Hawaii locations, ski lodges..... Where did you say you met your spouse? 
  • Add to their collection. Most people have a collection of some sort. It can be an easy gift if you always keep your eye out for a unique addition to that collection!
  • Something useful is good, but make sure they need/want it. For example, if someone is asking for a new vacuum-GREAT! then get it. If they haven't asked for it, it wouldn't be cool.
Some solid suggestions and ideas that I've used/been given:
  •  A hand-carved, collapsible basket/trivet to add to my mom's heart collection. She had never seen one before, (nor had I,) so it was an obvious choice!
  • A set of high ball glasses with a cassette tape on the side with a wax pen to write the name of your 'Mix Tape'. This was for my brother who used to sit in his room for hours making his own mix tapes on a tape to tape machine in the 80's.
  • A wine glass with 'shoes' hand painted on it for a friend that has a shoe obsession.
  • A bag of Hershey's kisses with the tags replaced with personal messages.
  • A bag full of little Bronco's memorabilia for my son who is a giant fan: rubber bracelets, book, lanyard, etc.
  • One year I was giving everyone pajama pants. I was able to easily find a pair for everyone with one of their interests/favorite colors/characters on them, except for one person. I think I googled something like 'music pajama pants', and came up with a pair that had an all-over keyboard pattern for the music lover. Not super easy to find but perfect for the recipient.
Some websites where I get great ideas and gifts:
And finally, for the really, really, really hard person to shop for, what about a donation to their favorite charity in honor of them? That's the gift that gives twice!

Share your favorite website for unique gifts in the comments or tell me about your favorite gift idea. See? I haven't even started my Christmas shopping yet and I need your ideas, too!!

1 comment:

Liz@thisfullhouse said...

Hey, wow! Awesome tips ova here and I'm about to hit up a couple of those websites -- thanks and great job, my friend <3