You can also read: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4. Please read the comments on each article, also. They are great, and add a lot to this discussion. Many thanks to each of you that have commented so far!
My suggestions for deciding if your child is ready for kindergarten:
- Can your child sit in a chair and color or write for 15-20 minutes- uninterrupted and otherwise unsupervised or directed?
- Does he/she know the alphabet verbally and recognize most of the letters, either upper or lower case?
- Can he/she count to at least 10?
- Can your child sit next to other children and not disturb them for the full length of a story?
- Can your child focus long enough to follow 3 step directions? i.e. "Joey, go upstairs, get the trash, and take it outside."