The last couple of times that my husband has gone in to the hospital we have had no time to prepare. This time is different. Let me take you back...
Seven years ago, right around Septeember 11th, Headless Dad had gone golfing with some friends. While looking for a ball, he slipped and fell, putting his arm down to break the fall. Bad idea. He severed his rotator cuff (tendon in his shoulder.) I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with Headless Boy 2 and had a toddler and a 10 year old at home. Really not the best scenario to be ushering your husband into surgery. After an unexpected overnight stay at the hospital (due to an emergency surgery that went ahead of him,) he was in a sling for a month (more?) and couldn't pick up our infant son when he was born. (Granted, he was a huge baby at 11 lb., but I've told that story before here.)
This time is different from my point of view. I am not caring for 2 small children. My parents have come into town to help with the kids. I know what to expect in caring for my husband-it is the exact same surgery except that he only has a tear this time, (different shoulder.) And I have had time to prepare. Headless Dad goes into surgery today and here are some of the things that I have tried to take care of before hand:
- I have told all of the teachers/bible study leaders/etc. that I volunteer with that I will not be helping for the remainder of the week.
- I planned ahead and chose to donate juice to a class party instead of volunteering time.
- I planned a menu and shopped on Sunday.
- I did laundry over the weekend.
- I've been ironing button-up shirts for HD so he will actually have clothes to wear. No putting his arm over his head for a while.
- I've been cleaning so that I don't have to worry about it for a few days. Mostly just the stuff that drives me crazy so I won't be psycho while trying to keep HD comfortable. He really won't care-he'll have too many good drugs to care about anything.
- I arranged with the neighbor that I share driving with for her to take the kids to and from school tomorrow. We'll play the rest of the week by ear.
Oh, and if you think of anything that I've forgotten let me know in the comments so everyone else here for Works for Me Wednesday can reap the benefits, too. Then go over to Shannon's and get more great ideas!