Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Headless Guide To BlogHer '09- The Clothes

I'm a sophomore attendee, and while there are many that have more experience than I do, not many will write about it with only one year under their belt. Last year I was nervous and excited-like many of you that are going for the first time. I need not have been nervous at all. Everyone I met, and I mean everyone, was nice, helpful, and genuinely glad to meet new people. Yeah, even the "big time" bloggers were personable and fun. Honestly, I haven't ever been in a large group of women that were that nice before. Were there issues? Maybe, but I don't remember any, was not involved in any, and you probably won't be, either.

The Clothes

I was worried about clothes, too. Last year I wore capris during the day. That was comfortable for ME. That may or may not be comfortable for you. I saw plenty of people in jeans, and plenty of people in business casual slacks or skirts. (Many of those were presenters, but not all.) I HIGHLY SUGGEST a sweater because the conference rooms can be cold. (You know that cardigan that you have that is 5 years old but works with everything? Bring that one.) Basically? What ever you like and feel good in, and can wear for about 10 hours comfortably, carry a bag on your shoulder, and still balance your phone/notebook/business card holder.

At night I changed into dresses. I had several other occasions that I had bought dresses for last summer and since I had them I decided to wear them. I may or may not change this year. My suggestion, (and one that I may take myself!) is to take a skirt or 2 that will coordinate with your tops and if you feel like changing, you can. Some women did not change because they took that time to go to a shwag suite, or to have a drink with friends. That's fine. There is not a dress code or a bouncer at the door.

A word about shoes: I enjoyed wearing heels last year. I am a SAHM and you can usually find me in my Birkenstocks. BlogHer is my chance to bring out my nice clothes, and that applies to my shoes as well. I do fine in heels, many do not. Remember, during the day with the exception of going between conference rooms, you will be sitting down; at the cocktail parties you will be standing. Use that as a guide to your footwear. And if you are someone who's feet hurt all the time anyway? Don't count out your tennies, or at least flats. Your feet will thank you.

Tune in next time for thoughts about the rest of the BlogHer experience!

Headless Mom

12 comments:

kyooty said...

I'll be waiting to hear. My little fishiness is sitting tight up here in Canada. :)

Rocks In The Wash said...

When do you go and where is it? Tell me what you do there; I know I'm lame, I know nothing about BlogHer. ((HUGS))

Amazing Greis said...

I'm a newbie, but you already know that. LOL

Thanks for the post and the great advice. I'm definitely looking forward to Chicago in July.

Laurie/MobileMommy said...

Thanks! I found this helpful as a newbie to BlogHer this year. I'm not usually too clothes conscious but the Twitter chatter was making me nervous!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Have fun !

Kelly said...

I love seeing you as the Sophomore Blog Her guide this year!! Also, so glad you are going again, you have really hit your stride with the blogging and I love hearing about it through you when it is all over. Have a GREAT time!

Andrea's Sweet Life said...

We are going to have SO MUCH FUN!!!

Great guide!

Busy Mom said...

I find that a large-ish totebag is helpful to carry that cardigan, a camera, wallet etc. as well as any odds and ends you pick up at exhibitor tables.

Issa said...

This was helpful, but I'm still super nervous.

michelle@Everyday Celebrating said...

Great post! Thanks for taking the time to share it!

kasandria said...

Great post! I have a similar one on my blog. I'm trying to find something for the plus size girls. Whatever you choose will look GREAT! Can't wait to meet you.
Kas
@waystosave

musingwoman said...

I'm eating all this up, because this will be my very first Blogher!

Now, I must dig out that cardigan I have in the back of my closet somewhere...