Thursday, September 29, 2011

Friday? Already?

Time flies when you're single-parenting. My husband has been out of town for the better part of ten days, save one night that he graced us with his presence-and laundry. I still don't know when he's coming home. It's a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things and we are blessed that he is employed and we have food on the table.

The kids are great: busy, as usual. I tell ya, they kill me sometimes. Last week #2 told me that he wants to play football "for the rest of my life, Mom." When I told him that he probably wouldn't be able to play quite that long he clarified: "I want to play on tv on Saturday afternoons!" OK, NCAA Div. 1 I can handle. Goals? He's got 'em.

And that #1? You would not believe that he's only been playing piano since the end of June. He really has an ear for it. He also joined the band at school and is playing the alto sax. Confession: I don't know how well he's doing because it's really hard to hear just one part of a song. However, since he's so brilliant at everything else, why wouldn't he be good at the sax? (Yes, I know I'm exaggerating. He is pretty awesome, though.)

The Girl? She's been bitten by the travel bug. After Africa this summer she decided to take a semester and study in Israel. She has also decided to go back to Africa next summer for another 6-8 weeks. As long as she graduates, I have no problem with her traveling. You should see her face light up when she talks about it! Her best friend at school is going to go with her next summer so they should have a really great time.

As for me, I've really felt 'off' this week. Yes, I've gotten the basics taken care of but my head has been elsewhere. I finally started volunteering in one of the boys' classes today. Appears that I'll be in there for about 2 hours on Thursdays helping with reading and writing. Right up my alley! I've been lucky enough to be able to meet for coffee with a couple of girlfriends once a week and it's quickly become one of my favorite moments of the week. How's this for cheap though: I take my own coffee to Starbucks! We make a full pot in the morning so why should I buy it there?

So there you have it. My brain dump on what's been going on around here. Hope you've had a good week and are looking forward to the weekend!

Headless Mom

5 comments:

Rocks In The Wash said...

Its definitely hard being a "single" parent, thankfully the time will go by quickly and Headless Hubby will be home soon. Keep your chin up! XXOOs

Mary @ A Simple Twist Of Faith said...

I love the idea of you bringing your own coffee to Starbucks. You are very smart!

Diana said...

Israel sounds like fun!

Diana said...

Israel sounds like fun!

Diana said...

Israel sounds like fun!