I'm always curious to hear what chores people assign to their kids and at what ages. I sometimes feel like my kids have it easy, with way too much free time. Which, of course translates into screen time, AHEM. My boys are good boys. They are both Honor Roll students, but I often wonder what else that they should be doing/learning so that they won't have to take me to college with them.
So far, this is what my 10 and 12 year old sons are either fully or partially responsible for:
- taking out trash and recyclables daily, and weekly out to the street
- putting away own clean clothes, matching socks, folding and putting away towels and other linens
- picking up their own messes around the house
- emptying the dishwasher
- setting/clearing the table at dinner time
- occasionally helping with dinner dishes
- picking up own room (I enforce this less often than I should)
- wiping bathroom counters and sinks
- helping in the garden when needed
- occasionally: laundry, cooking, other tasks.