Thursday, April 5, 2012

Slam Book

I remember when I was in junior high reading about slam books. They were journal-type things with your name on a page, other girl's names on other pages, and they would be passed around and people could write what they "really thought" about you. I don't think anyone at our school had them, or at least my circle of friends didn't. I remember thinking how awful it must be for someone to get a 'slam', or bad comment.

Facebook and Blogging of the 80's, complete with trolls. Heh.

I'm a pretty confident person, in general. Yes, I have my "I'm fat, ugly, and have no friends" moments, (just for you, Mom!,) but all in all I'm ok with ME. I strive to have a decent reputation thanks to years and years of my mother and father drilling into my head things like "Pretty is is pretty does," "Remember who you represent," "Do unto others as you would have done to you." Pretty standard for my generation, no?

Lately though I've been wondering. What do people think of me? Not in the "myselfesteemwillbeshatteredpleaseohpleaseloveme" way, but in the "what kinds of things do my real friends find annoying about me?" way.

Yes, I know I can be loud, especially when I laugh or have had a couple of drinks. I already know that I have a short temper, primarily with my family. I battle laziness on a daily basis. I talk a good story about sticking up for yourself but rarely am that bold in my own life. Oh my Lord, I have the mouth of a sailor.

I think I really want to know. I want to know for a couple of reasons. First, I'm just curious. We're all human, no one is perfect, and what do others find annoying about me? Second, I'm not opposed to trying to be a better me.

I'm kind of reluctant to ask, but is there something about me that bothers you? Some of you are only internet friends, and that's ok. Maybe there is something that you can add. If you know me in real life, you can comment anonymously. Please be nice though, and not trollish. I'm really curious and trollish would only put up my defenses rather than give me things to think about.

Is this crazy? Do I really want to know these things? I suppose you can tell me that, too.

 Headless Mom

8 comments:

XLMIC said...

You are the bravest person I know! I have no complaints from all my lurking :) You seem pretty awesome to me!

Melisa Wells said...

I remember the first time I read about Slam Books was in Judy Blume's "Otherwise Known As Sheila the Great". I always wanted to do that with my friends but was too scared. :)

I don't have any pet peeves about you, except that you apparently never get to Chicago. :)

Rocks In The Wash said...

OMG, I could never be apart of a Slam Book session. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, nor would I want anyone to hurt mine..

I guess I did listen when my mother always said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

I did smile though, while reading your post.. It made me think back to when Mary and I tried to get you to serve us drinks while we were just a few months shy of turning 21 in Greeley. I don't remember the name of the place, but you did an outstanding job by holding your ground! ;D Ah, the good 'ol days!

Carmen said...

You? Are completely CRAZY.

What do I hate about you?

That you don't live near me.

Karen said...

Lol, I know what yr saying, we talk about others faults, not that it lessens them, but only because it defines them, and then we wonder what faults define me.

I have never thought u were any of the things u stated and several like being loud, made me go WHAT! What I like most about u is much easier to say. Such as your loyalty, honesty, and open mindedness..........plus u put up with me!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know you well enough to have any pet peeves about you. I suspect I wouldn't have any, anyway. Maybe that you don't bring me enough cookies. I can't remember the last time you brought me cookies.

Mary @ A Simple Twist Of Faith said...

Slam books? Wow. Never heard of them, and I am glad of it.

-Your Older Brother, Sam said...

Something that *really* bothers me about you? Something I absolutely cannot stand?

Nuttin'. We cool. ;)