Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hot Slaw

A few weeks ago my husband was watching the Food Network and saw a recipe that he wanted to try. Of course he didn't write it down and only memorized a few of the ingredients so it was up to me to fill in the blanks. Of course. He is the adventurous chef; I'm the one who follows recipes. I forged ahead anyway.

He bought:
Brussels sprouts (about 1 lb.)
Red bell pepper
Sweet yellow pepper (not a bell, looked more like a yellow jalapeno)
White onion

What I did to prep: 
Slice all vegetables super thin-to almost a 'shaved' consistency
I only used about half of the onion.

How I cooked it:
Heated 1+ T. bacon grease to SUPER HOT (totally a cooking term. What?)
Tossed in Brussels Sprouts first, stirring well to coat with the grease. Cook until starting to brown.
Add the other peppers and onion. Stir constantly until other veggies are just hot and start to look like they are starting to wilt. (Another totally technical cooking term. I'm such a gourmet.)
Toss in a pinch of sea salt and ground pepper.
Total cooking time 5-8 minutes, I think.

We were hoping for a crunchy, hot version of coleslaw and that is exactly what we got. At the table we tried topping it with a few other sauces (balsamic vinegar, asian stir fry sauce, etc.) but didn't decide if one was better than the other. I liked mine just as it was, mixed with steamed rice and added salt and pepper. We were pleasantly surprised by our little experiment!

While my husband and I liked it, the kids were definitely skeptical and only tried a little. I'm thinking that they would want a sweeter sauce. What would sauce would you try?
Headless Mom

1 comment:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That sounds yummy! So glad you liked it. You did a great job without really have a recipe to follow.