Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cake Decorating, Grade 3

HB#1 wanted to participate in cake decorating too. He first wanted to do an elephant (a WHAT?) but I had to say no after searching the web for examples and came up with nothing that would be even remotely easy to accomplish. After looking at pictures on this cake decorating site, he decided on a snake. I should have tried to make it once but didn't. I still think it came out pretty good.

We I started out with a bundt cake, then sliced it horizontally so I had 2 circles. Then cut down at "12/6 and 9/3" (like on a clock) so I ended up with 4 quarter circle pieces. I then placed them on a foil covered piece of cardboard approx. 18"x20" (specs say no larger than 20"x20".) I cut the tail end to a point (left side of the picture), and turned one piece to look like a triangular, poisonous snake head. That came out really, REALLY cool. I also had to cover this one with a powdered sugar/milk mixture. Not as easy-that is why it looks a little messier than the star.

Anyhoo, HB#1 wanted a green snake with red details. His partner brought fruit roll-ups for the tongue and other sprinkles, etc., to decorate it with. It came out a little, um, weird, to say the least. But they liked it, so I guess that's all that matters. And I didn't have to buy it (the other mother out-bid me. Shucks.) I kinda would have liked to decorate this one myself to try to make it look at least reminiscent of a real snake.


I think that the PTA ended up raising nearly $2,000 that night at the cake auction. Pretty good for letting a bunch of kids get all hopped up on sugar at lunch time, no?

Headless Mom

3 comments:

kyooty said...

What a great idea! We have a Family Fun night at our school and I think this would be fun idea for one of the events. They usually do a cake walk, a pop/juice walk, or a chip/pretzel walk. The kids have fun, the parents stand around chatting.

Keetha Broyles said...

Ooooooo - - - they gave it a spade shaped head, so whatever species it was, it was POISONOUS!!!!

Did you have to buy that one too?

Keetha Broyles said...

Ooops - - - I shouda read more carefully the first time - - - the OTHER mom bought that one.