Over the last 2 years I have lost and kept off 15 pounds. I know that it is not a huge weight loss, and I could probably stand to lose another 5, maybe 10. That said, there are some things that have really made the difference for me.
5 to be exact.
My top 5 tips to lose 5 pounds (or keep them off!):
- Stop drinking soda-even diet!- every day. I am a Coca~Cola freak. I love the stuff, especially out of the fountain with that little pellet ice. I don't drink it. Well, let me clarify: I now drink it only as an occasional treat. Really. Maybe one per month, in place of a dessert or other snack. I actually keep caffeine-free Coke around since I usually will indulge during a favorite tv show and the caffeine would keep me up.
- Add veggies! We routinely have salads for dinner at least once or twice a week. There are tons of varieties out there-just go look for your favorite flavor. We actually love taco salads around here-yes, the kids do too! Start with lots of dark greens mixed with iceberg, brown ground turkey add taco seasoning, chop your favorite veggies, (we add red or orange bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, jicama, celery, shredded carrots, cilantro, the works! or whatever we have on hand,) and mix up this dressing: Lite Sour cream and salsa. About 50/50, to taste. Crumble tortilla chips on top, if you wish. Yummmmmm.
- Cut down on your coffee habit. I know! I used to finish the pot (a 12 cupper) after Headless Dad would leave for work. I totally pollute my coffee-sugar and half and half. I looove my coffee. Stopping at 2 cups has saved me hundreds of calories a month. I still pollute it, but stop before I pollute my arteries and waist line, too.
- Eat breakfast. I know, everyone says it, but it is true. Find something that you like. For me, it's low-fat granola with vanilla yogurt and fruit, preferably berries. I don't love to eat early so I usually will eat after my walk, or at least after the kids leave for school. I really feel like crap if I don't eat breakfast now, could that be why you don't feel so good? Other ideas could be an egg sandwich, protein shake, bowl of cheerios with a banana. Just do it!
- No list like this would be complete without EXERCISE. Find something that you love and do it every day, or almost every day. For me it is walking. I live in an equestrian neighborhood, nestled next to National Forest land, so there are great trails all over. I love to walk and check out peoples' landscaping, house paint color, additions, and day dream about what to do to my own house. Of course we can't do it right now, but by the time I've added a bedroom and an office, painted the joint, put a deck on the back, and added a pool, I'm unlocking the door to my own house. The time flies even without an ipod. I also try to get in floor work-sit-ups and push-ups, but don't always. Other ideas could include bike riding, running, swimming-just move. Make it a part of your day. Start small if you have to. You'll be glad you did.
After you answer, you can head back to Shannon's for other WFMW tips!