Sunday, March 20, 2011

How The Government Should Spend Money

I've not gotten political much in this space but I suspect that if you've been reading me for any amount of time you can guess which way I lean. With so many things going on in our country and around the world it's not hard to get frustrated and throw your hands up. Which I actually do. Often.

But here's the thing. When it comes to federal, state, and local budgets it should be easy. Guess what? No money? No budget increases. No raises. No increases in benefits on any level. Every department should be cut by a certain percentage. Across the board, no playing favorites or listening to lobbyists. Furlough days should not be met with lawsuits; at least those jobs have been saved.

Probably unpopular with some of my readers but here's some more... Prove that you've paid taxes in this country before you receive free government services, including free public schools and hospital services, as well as things like unemployment, disability, and government food programs.

Research should be largely privately funded, whether it is by the drug companies, private universities, or wealthy individuals subsidizing their personal interests. Not only would that save money that governments are spending but it would eliminate public red tape. It would create more private sector jobs, leaving people to rely less on the government and be at it's whims.

It really just comes down to responsibility. If I don't have money I can't spend it. Why should the government be any different? That's just how I see it.

Headless Mom

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a smart gal!

Tracey said...

IF I DON'T HAVE I CAN'T SPEND IT....CRAZY IDEA....WOW!

Keetha Broyles said...

Perhaps you've been seeing all the whoop-la on the news about the Wisconsin budget cuts.

It certainly has people round these here parts RILED up - - - but I agree with you.

No money no spendey.

Unknown said...

Sounds good to me!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I agree with you.

frannie said...

love this!

Ruralmama said...

I'm with you on this. It seems so simple on a personal level--why is our government so clueless??