Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Freak Out Moment

Just because I seem to be keeping it all together doesn't mean that I am. Oh no.

On Sunday afternoon I lost it. Well, kinda. See, if you haven't noticed, Christmas is in less than 2 weeks. My house is a literal disaster area. The dust is beginning to have a life of it's own. I haven't decorated beyond one little 4 ft. tree. I haven't done any of my usual holiday baking, and we have no idea what we're doing for Christmas. (Yeah, that would include wondering where the presents are going to come from because I haven't done ANY shopping. I really do believe in Santa, but I have a feeling that he won't be taking care of my entire list.)

Whine? I've got some. Bring me the cheese and crackers.

In the middle of my sob fest, (there's so much to do!, the dust!, Waahhhhh!), Headless Dad got on my case about making a mountain out of a mole hill. I said, "I know that these are first-world problems, I get that, but that doesn't mean that it's easy, or that there isn't any stress involved."

He got caught up on the phrase "first-world problems." (Really? That's what he hears? Not anything else?) He had never heard it before and wanted to know what it meant.

First-world problem: Having a construction crew in your house, to replace floors that were damaged by your washing machine, during the holidays.

Third-world problem: Having no floors. What's a washing machine?

So I get it. For the most part I've even been pretty good about it. I don't want to whine, I really don't, but can I get a pass on feeling overwhelmed? Have I earned that at least?
Headless Mom

2 comments:

karen r said...

lol, love the first world vs third world. And if it makes you feel any better I don't even have my tree up :) Although I do not have the first world problems you do!

kyooty said...

Even without flooring problems, I'm so behind it's not funny. Yes there was baking but it's not exactly in the house right now... If you are baking? it's still not eaten :) This is good!