Tuesday, September 23, 2014

How I Screwed Up Dinner on Monday Night

We haven't had much in the way of weekends around here lately. Football, Marching Band, hunting trips, and simply trying to catch up from busy weeks have wreaked havoc on rest and relaxation. By Monday I'm still burned out but with the entire family being gone most of the day I usually get caught up. Heh. Until yesterday.

I got some things done around the house, (4 loads of laundry among other things,) and by 4:15 I was ready to run a couple of errands before picking up HB#1 after a saxophone lesson. I had mentally done my checklist for what we needed at the grocery store and checked my recipe, written a list, and headed out.

I did well. First stop done in 4 minutes. Music store to get HB and pay for his lessons-Check. Grocery store #1. Check. Store #2. Check. Home.

(Some other things happened here that are not relevant. Well, could have been but I ruined dinner, remember?)

Took #1 to his piano lesson and came home to make dinner. (Sidenote: I was making this Southwest Chicken Salad. Try it. Everyone in my family loves it!) I started taking out everything that I thought I had on hand. Uh, no. Everything that I thought that I had was rotten (vegetables,) or frozen (sour cream.) And both of those grocery store trips? for nothing without the ingredients I had on hand and had just bought 2 hours before. That meant that someone had to go get the 4 or 5 things that I needed.

*sigh*

So I sent HD to pick up the boy and grab the stuff that I needed at the store. Of course! He left the list at home. After a phone call from the store they made it home and I was able to finish making dinner.

As we were sitting down to dinner (waaaaay late, I might add,) I asked HD to grab the tortilla chips out of the cupboard.

Uh, Where are they?

Oops. Missing those too. After 3 grocery store trips we STILL didn't have everything we needed for dinner. #epicdinnerfail

At least it was delicious even without the chips!

4 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

Those days are the worst. That's when I wish my house was across the street from a grocery store, but I'd still be sick of it. Sigh.

kyooty said...

Somedays we just can't get out of our own way. I'm find it hard to fit in everything.

The Mid Life Guru said...

I hate it when that happens. At least you could serve a "version" of what you intended.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Crazy when that happens.....but the dinner sounds tasty and I hope to make it sometime!